[scribus-dev] Dev a gettext plugin

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sat Aug 15 10:04:36 UTC 2020

salut dimitri and jluc

> Le 14/08/2020 à 19:29, Dimitri Robert a écrit :
> > I started a plugin to import MarkDown documents. By reading other
> > gettext plugins I noticed usage of 2 distincts functions: GetText
> > and GetText2. GetText use a gtWriter object
> > GetText2 use a pageItem object
> > I wants to access to the Document object (for create image frames)
> > which is accessible via pageItem. What is the best way?
> > Is there a deprecated method?
>
> It could be a good way to start with an existing plugin :
> https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-plugin-gettext-markdown

the problem with the existing plugin is that it's stuck because the
team cannot find some time to discuss the proposed APIs.

in the past, i've been working on a few new features for scribus and
i've noticed that they tend to always use the same internal features
which are way too hard to find, access and work with.
when the code does not need raw speed (like importing markdown text) it
can profit from having a higher level API!

having to find out which GetText function to use and how to correctly
use it a typical example!

we need an API that is documented and provides access to the internals!
i've made a few proposal but all have been left there unreviewed.

if there are c++ programmers around who would like to help, just get in
touch with me and i'm more than willing to put time in this task and
finally make a proposal for the API that is sound!

ciao
a.l.e