[scribus-dev] Vertical extent of text

Michael J Gruber mjg at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 26 10:41:41 UTC 2019

So, the analysis went further, and I've bisected the problem down to
this commit:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=f72b00746c64e13625cf8371f031411fbd0d6161

That is: A freetype with this commit produces the described problem
with scribus, one without does not. Even a freetype 2.10.0 with that
commit reverted works.

Now, I have no idea whether the condition "OS/2 table exists and
fsSelection bit 7 (USE_TYPO_METRICS)" is something that scribus should
or even could have any influence on. If no then the bug is in
freetype, or in the fonts - in many fonts! In the "no" case, filing a
bug against scribus is pointless, and someone would have to take this
to the freefont mailing list or bug tracker.

Probably, freefont is doing the right thing according to the font
specs and most fonts don't... But I have no expertise in that area.

Michael