[scribus-dev] Python3 vs Python2

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Sun Nov 10 15:55:07 UTC 2019

> On 10 Nov 2019, at 3:57 pm, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/10/19 7:55 AM, William Bader wrote:
>> I haven't tried, but from scribus/plugins/CMakeLists.txt, I think that you have to rerun cmake with -DWANT_PYTHON_2X
>> Regards, William
>>

> Hi William,
>
> Supposedly though, there is something in the GUI to select which Python version, at least that's how I interpret the comments in svn.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg

We do not intend to keep Python 2.x support around for long. Basically, for Mac OS, Python is included in the base OS and until I package Python 3 with Scribus, its easier to keep the 2.x plugin around.
Scribus is built with one or the other - William is right, its a build time option and not GUI selectable.
Any work for ongoing scripting should be using the 3.x plugin if on Linux or Windows. If I get Python 3 bundled with the Mac OS DMG before 1.5.6, this 2.x plugin will likely be removed again but bringing it back means I can also concentrate on other work with Jean and still produce nightly DMGs.
So, if you’re on OSX, ok.. if you’re not, transition to Python 3.x