[scribus-dev] export to webpage???

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu May 23 15:51:24 UTC 2019

On 5/23/19 9:46 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi
>
>> Is anyone working on, or is there already an extension for exporting
>> to a webpage? Many of the functionalities in pdf-files such as
>> inclined text boxes and transparent graphics is already available in
>> the css-language used in conjunction with html-code, so it shouldn't
>> be impossible to enable export to webpage with a combination of html
>> and css-code.
>
> i'm working on an exporter to epub... which can also be used to create
> html... since it's not that difficult to convert from epub to html...
>
> the work on the plugin will continue after the discussions with the
> team at the next lgm (libre graphics meeting)...

Some years ago I worked on a script to convert a document to xhtml. Here was a preliminary effort:

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus_xhtml_using_Scripter

A basic issue with conversion, however it's done, is that PDF is a highly structured layout, with items very precisely placed and sized, whereas ePubs and webpages by their nature are flexible, due to the uncertainties of the display device.