[scribus-dev] Fwd: Great meeting you in Saarbrücken

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Fri Jun 14 04:08:49 UTC 2019

PDF, as a file format, does not have any limitations in this area.  In fact, various features such as Tagged PDF were designed to enable it.  Viewers (such as Adobe Reader) have supported a "reflow" option for almost 20 years now and many offer font size adjustment.

Leonard

On 6/13/19, 1:29 AM, "ale rimoldi" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

    hi leonard

    > I would love to hear what you think PDFs limitations are for
    > screen-based publishing...

    i'm mainly thinking of

    - reflowing based on the screen size and proportions.
    - adapting the text size to the reader's needs

    basically everything that makes it comfortable to read text on a screen
    based device...
    (for content with needs that are in between the standardised epub shown
    by an e-reader and the control freak that is the pdf... a "simple"
    example are programming books).

    of course, if the goal of the editable pdf is to make the file tweakable
    at the print stage (as suggested by greg), then my concerns can be
    safely ignored.
    (and, indeed, this at least at some degree already possible)

    ciao
    a.l.e