[scribus-dev] Fwd: Great meeting you in Saarbrücken

Tamir Hassan dev at tamirhassan.com
Thu Jun 13 07:13:51 UTC 2019

Hi Andreas,

On 6/11/19 8:20 AM, Andreas Vox wrote:
> I think it's only possible to achieve two of the following: editable,
> stable layout and optimal layout. If you modify a document in another
> application than the one which produced it, there will always be
> difference in appearance, functionality or both.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "optimal layout", but of course, I
am trying to achieve the first two here. Opening a document for editing
should not cause any reflow changes until the content has been edited,
and then it should reflow in a predictable manner.

Optimal layout for me is not only the use of local and global
optimization algorithms such as Knuth-Plass on the paragraph level, but
also stuff such as pagination and figure placement on the global level.
Combining this with interactive, WYSIWYG editing is a different problem,
as everything would be jumping about from page to page every time a
single character is typed, assuming the computation can be done fast
enough. It would probably make the most sense to carry out global
optimizations on demand once the content is known, and only locally
optimize during editing (if at all.)

> But there's definitely a lot of opportunity to improve editing PDF if
> you accept adequate layout changes. IMHO, reflow, font substitution,
> change of color model, change of resolution and scaling are acceptable
> layout changes. Missing content, inconsistent line breaking or
> distortion are obviously not acceptable.

I wouldn't describe some of these as layout changes at all. But yes, if
a font is substituted (PDF already provides mechanisms for this), this
should not cause reflow and, in fact, if the font later becomes
available again it should be substituted back.

> Layout programs like Scribus do not only use margins and columns, but
> also have master/template pages, layers and text flowing around images.
> Providing a standard for that will be much more challenging.

I understand. And ultimately we will have to draw the line somewhere.
But I was under the impression that DTP has long been a mature
technology and all the features that you mentioned here are also e.g.
available in InDesign and other DTP applications (even if Inkscape
doesn't support them all).

There would need to be a way for applications to store additional,
app-specific metadata, but this should really only be used for special
types of content, such as e.g. charts or diagrams, and even then,
certain aspects, such as text formatting, should remain editable by
other applications.

Best,
Tamir

--