[scribus-dev] Editable PDF

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Wed Jun 12 23:45:55 UTC 2019

> It would be nice to clarify where Tamir is coming from with his idea on editable PDF, and where he wants to go

Agreed, Greg...

I can say that from my perspective, I don't see "Editable PDF" as a native file format for an application but instead as an interchange format that contains much more rich semantics and "editing context" so that the authoring apps would be able to do have more info for import, edit and export.  Something that leverages capabilities such as Tagged PDF (esp. attributes), Associated Files, etc.

Leonard

On 6/12/19, 4:27 PM, "Gregory Pittman" <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

    On 6/11/19 3:01 PM, Andreas Vox wrote:
    > Hi ale,
    > IDML looks rather large and closely tied to Indesign.  I'd prefer something more modular, e.g. XML+CSS for the stories and SVG for the layout. Application preferences should not be part of the interchange format.
    > Since the goal is to also have a formatted document as part of the format, I don't see why we shouldn't just augment PDF with the missing parts.

    It would be nice to clarify where Tamir is coming from with his idea on editable PDF, and where he wants to go. As far as I can see, the idea is to be able to make some tweaks of the layout, perhaps edit the text content. While there is mention of text flow around frames for images, I'm not sure what other kinds of image object edits are desired. For someone trying to edit one of these documents, there will be a limit as to how complex it can be and still be understandable for the user. Going to Scribus or InDesign to edit one of these seems to defeat the purpose.

    A perhaps somewhat sensible approach might be to create this editable PDF in Scribus or InDesign, then be able to make some minor edits with this new format using a text editor.