[scribus-dev] Change to UTF-32

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 09:36:59 UTC 2016

> To: scribus-dev at lists.scribus.net
> From: jghali at libertysurf.fr
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 08:53:16 +0200
> Subject: Re: [scribus-dev] Change to UTF-32
>
> Le 31/05/2016 à 07:29, Khaled Hosny a écrit
> >> Jeans not convinced that we need to move to UTF32 at this stage in
> >> CTL, i.e. too early, not required. That we will see regressions in
> >> unknown places and find it hard to prove that the code is working
> >> properly for testing etc.
> > The fact that we already have a few reports at GitHub about supporting
> > characters outside BMP says otherwise.
>
> Supporting Emojis or historic scripts is certainly something nice, but supporting them is
> not in any way required at this point. So I maintain my position. UTF-32 has advantages
> but this is something which can wait after CTL code merge.

Even with UTF-32, there are still combining characters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combining_character that require several code points per character. Doesn't that raise issues similar to characters outside BMP in UTF-16? Doing UTF-32 correctly might require touching all of the places that have BMP issues in UTF-16 because they will still need to deal with characters that require multiple integers, and Qt will be messier if you can't use QString.
William