[scribus-dev] Change to UTF-32

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Mon May 30 18:56:06 UTC 2016

> On 30 May 2016, at 17:26, Andreͮaͦsͯ <andreas.vox at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Khaled recently committed a change to the HOST-Oman/ctl branch that changes the text coding from UTF_16 (QChar/QString) to UTF-32:
> https://github.com/HOST-Oman/scribus/commit/b2886e64b4aba660e4939d6cdaba066aed39d081
>
> Since we have divided opinions on this issue, would you mind reviewing the discussion in the comments and add your own thoughts?
>
> Best regards
> /Andreas

I don’t really see the difference because I don’t know the code. If the APIs enable me, or anyone who doesn’t know the text code to do stuff like insert text at a certain point for example, the it would seem ok.
One thing that is mentioned is for example inserting a QChar.. so how does one programmatically insert 1 character?

I don’t have an opinion on the 16 vs 32 as long as it works so we can do all operations.. read/write to file, display it, type it, export it to various formats.

Is there a speed difference?

At the beginning of the conversation, you seem to disagree with Khaled and then at the end (where it is now) you disagree less?