[scribus-dev] masterpages color

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Sep 17 23:59:14 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 04:54 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:

>> On 17 Sep 2015, at 22:49, Kunda Loves Scribus <scribus.user at gmail.com
>> <mailto:scribus.user at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     > Hello franz
>>     >
>>     > i understand you reverted the change about giving colors to
>>     master page.
>>     >
>>     > i think that giving colors to master pages enables to recognize them
>>     > in a easy and instant way, which is nice when having to change
>>     masterpages,
>>     > like reordering pages of a long document.
>>
>>     Hi JLuc
>>
>>     I requested the removal. We aren’t doing this feature this way,
>>     simple. Forget it.
>>
>>     Yes, the name also needs fixing.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>     Craig
>>

>> Just wanted to let Franz know that I was excited about the direction
>> of the Colored Master Pages.  Of course it needed refinement. Perhaps
>> Craig has a different way to implement it based on the words used:
>> "this way"? I'm holding back disappointment and opting to hope that
>> color coding master pages still make it some way in to the 1.6
>>

> Jean and I do not like this idea of color coding. Colours are too
> limited to be useful in this context. Proper descriptions and GUI
> information is the only thing that will make this better.

One issue with these colors is confusing the labelling of layers and
master pages, and we already have challenges with getting people to
understand the purpose and use of each.

I also thought that using the color in the workspace background was a
bit startling visually, and when we talk about color management and
visual color judgment, this could be a problem.

Perhaps some other visual cue might be found to attach to master pages,
but we don't have such a strong need for this right now.