[scribus-dev] Easy Hacks?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Oct 17 14:12:40 UTC 2015

On 10/16/2015 01:35 PM, JLuc wrote:
> Le 16/10/2015 14:43, Khaled Hosny a écrit :
>> I’m working with a group of fresh graduates in Oman under an
>> initiative from
>> the Information Technology Authority to encourage participation in FLOSS
>> development, and Scribus is one of the projects we are targeting (as
>> some might already know).
>>
>> We are looking for something like LibreOffice’s Easy Hacks to help
>> introduce the students to the codebase, and have been told that some
>> people are working on such a list. Most importantly it should be things
>> that the core team finds useful and are welling to integrate reasonable
>> patches addressing them (otherwise it will be a wasted effort, of
>> course).
>

> And in any cases, keep in touch.
> Provide feedbacks on your works.
> Publish your patches on the bug tracker or wherever you want
> and share links and thoughts.

It may be self-evident, but some basic starting points are knowing how
to compile Scribus, and in particular how to set up some separate versions.

For example, you would want one directory which contains the standard,
pristine Scribus 1.5.1svn, and another with the one you might be
experimenting with. You would want to use the cmake options so that each
can be compiled into its own end directory. Currently I have separate
directories for 1.4.6svn, 1.5.0 (the released unstable), 1.5.1svn, and I
also have separate directories for 1.4.6svn and 1.5.1svn that I keep up
to date and never compile, since I have submit privileges.

The debug option is also useful. There should be an understanding of how
to create, apply, and submit patches. Documentation on subversion will
help with this.

Something else students could be very helpful with would be to
individually and collectively create some guiding documentation, not
just for their classmates, but something which might be added to the
Scribus wiki as an aid to others. I have written a fair amount of
documentation, but to document how the code works, you need to be a
coder. This kind of contribution is just as valuable to an open source
project as some patch for a bug or some added feature.