[scribus-dev] What does “acknowledged” issue status mean?

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:33:58 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 4:05 AM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 08:27:43AM +0100, ale rimoldi wrote:
> > hi khaled
> >
> > > Not being familiar what Mantis, I’m not sure what acknowledged status
> > > really means. I’m asking because after working on an acknowledged
> > > feature request, people are now debating whether the issue makes sense
> > > at all or not. I’d have thought that this is not questionable given
> > > the status of the issue, but I may have misunderstood how this works.
> >
> > since you're not mentioning the specific bug it's not easy to give you
> > an exact explanation for what you are seing.
>
> The immediate issue that triggered my question is #6230, but I’m also
> interested in a general answer as understanding how the bug triaging
> works in Scribus is crucial to outside contributors in general.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled

This brings up some issues that still need clarifying:

Here is what MantisBT defines each and every status:
https://www.mantisbt.org/manual/admin.lifecycle.status.html

In the Scribus wiki there is a page that talks about how it uses the above
labeling system:
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_to_file_a_bug_report#Ticket_Status

What we are missing clarity about are the following scenarios, when a
ticket:
1) requires more feedback from OP
2) requires more feedback from a core dev
3) needs more feedback from the community
4) is patched and awaiting testing (we have a 'Patch' field that is
'Yes/No' but it's not visible so well in the main Mantis screen, ideally we
could color code it)
5) s a Feature Request that is not likely to be added
6) is a Feature Request that has some likelyhood of being added but at some
later unknown time

Those are the different cases I can think of right now, feel free to add
others.

FYI Mantis also allows customization of status values:
https://www.mantisbt.org/manual/admin.customize.status.html

Other relevant topics are discussed in:
* "What is the "Feedback" status in Mantis?" (
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=12931)

* "[MANTIS] adding a status to mantis for request with a patch attached" (
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=9646)

* "in mantis create a new "status" called "patch"" (
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10822)

* "Augmentations to Mantis" (http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=12544)