[scribus-dev] New Website

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 19:06:53 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I am happy to see our new Website!

Nice!

I wonder about a couple things:

- The menu “Home” on the home page seems to me a bit odd. I would suggest
to simply remote it.

- I think it would be nice to have the description of what’s new in 1.5.0 —
as per the email sent by Christoph on the Create mailing list (and others)
— on the page:
http://www.scribus.net/category/in-a-nutshell/

- Maybe we could have a couple more pics of work done with Scribus but
already it’s pretty clear what you can do.

- I would suggest to use a more positive text as to Why [use] Scribus. The
reasons are good but the one that speaks about the printer seems to me a
downer. I suggest the following and of course if somebody can make it even
better, all the best! There is a change in the title and small changes in
the text below it.

*Because you want predictable results at the printer*

*Reliable PDF creation is the key to a successful print run at a commercial
printing house, and it has been a pillar of Scribus development since the
early days of its development. Scribus was the first DTP program in the
world that supported the demanding PDF/X-3 specification. Scribus also
offers a wide range of options with respect to PDF export. Issues with PDFs
created by Scribus always enjoy the highest development priority and will
be solved immediately.*

I am not sure about the statement on PDF/X-3. Is it a self-statement? Does
it matter that much that it has been the first one? Or else should it
suffice to mention that the spec is fully supported? I am trying to read
this from the candid perspective of a non-open-source-DTP-user that
discovers Scribus. What does that person need to know? That it works, that
it can do what he’s used to do with other tools, that it’s flawless and
compliant with the industry’s norms. Which is clearly what supporting
PDF/X-3 is about. Great!

I haven’t had the time to review everything but at first glance this is
what stroke me.

Many thanks to all who contributed to this nice work! Hopefully we can gain
more and more awareness!

Cheers!

Louis