[scribus-dev] GSOC 2015

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Fri Feb 13 16:14:08 UTC 2015

Le 13/02/2015 16:18, William Bader a écrit :

>  > >> GSOC is underway calling to mentoring organizations to register. I was
>  > >> wondering if this year we could submit an application? to make it simple we
>  > >> could just focus on some low maintenance specific needs: (here is my list)

GSOC is both a lot of time and too short a time for an unexperienced dev student.
All the more if the student is not very interested in scribus itself.
Google pay for students is a honeypot
but most of scribus GSOC students have not cared for their project once the GSOC was finished.
Quality student is communicative, honnest, autonomous and C++ proficient.
scribus devs dont have time to hold their hands during GSOW
and to finish their work after GSOC.

The new "tables" GSOC feature has been merged, allthough not finished,
and tables are now badly crippled in 1.5.

> How about completing Scripter2 or allowing scripts to use a full GUI with PyQt (or another module) without interfering
> with Scribus?

2 GSOCs have allready been dedicated to scripter2
and google people might not accept a 3d one to be dedicated to it.
Scripter2 is promising a lot today, as it was 5 years ago,
but not yet finished
and making it default scripter in 1.5 requires more dev ressources than have been available until now.

JL