[scribus-dev] Preflight Verifier clarifications

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Sun May 25 17:29:28 UTC 2014

Ah - it's something built into Scribus, didn't realize that.

Here's some info:

>Object colorspace is not CMYK or spot

PDF supports 11 different ways to represent the color of any object including RGB, CMYK and Spot (aka Separation) colors.  Some of the PDF standards, such as PDF/X-1a, require the only CMYK and Spot colors be used.  So if you use one of the others - you fail.

>Image dimension is smaller than its frame

Pretty simple - the image is larger than the area/frame you gave it so it will be clipped/cropped.

>Annontation uses a non TrueType font

No clue why this one is here since there isn't any standard/spec that I am aware of that cares what font type.  I would get rid of it.

>Imported Documents contains non embedded fonts

Seems pretty straight forward - you imported a PDF that didn't have embedded fonts.   Since the PDF standards require embedding, importing one that doesn't means you'll fail the output.

>Object is a placed PDF

Placed PDF sounds like the same thing as an Imported PDF.  Probably just need to coordinate the language

>Object is not a page

I know what it says, but not what it is supposed to represent in preflight.

>Object is a PDF annotation or Field

Same thing - I don't get what this has to do with preflight.

>Layers

A PDF can contain layers (called OCG's in the PDF standard) and some older specs don't allow them.

>Blendmode used

When doing transparency, you can specify one of the 14 different blend modes.  Again, some specs don't allow transparency so this would probably et flagged.

Leonard

From: Kunda Loves Scribus <scribus.user at gmail.com<mailto:scribus.user at gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
To: Scribus List <scribus-dev at lists.scribus.net<mailto:scribus-dev at lists.scribus.net>>
Subject: Re: [scribus-dev] Preflight Verifier clarifications

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com<mailto:lrosenth at adobe.com>> wrote:
What program are you using for doing a preflight check?    What Check/profile did you choose to get this output?  What output settings did you choose in Scribus to produce the PDF?

I can explain the items below, but it REALLY helps to have a context...

Leonard

From: Kunda Loves Scribus <scribus.user at gmail.com<mailto:scribus.user at gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 3:01 AM

This an open request to anyone who can offer any insight in to the following preflight verifier warnings/errors that I have yet to understand. My request is that you share 1-4 sentences on the importance of any or each one the following: (why would they be of interest to the educated or uneducated user?)

Object colorspace is not CMYK or spot

Image dimension is smaller than its frame

Annontation uses a non TrueType font

Imported Documents contains non embedded fonts

Object is a placed PDF

Object is not a page

Object is a PDF annotation or Field

Layers
Blendmode used

Thanks in advance!
/Kunda

Leonard,
Ah, yes.
Context:
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Preflilght-Checker-help-text
I'm spearheading an effort to demystify this functionality within Scribus. You can trigger the preflight verifier through the dropdown menu 'Window' -> 'Preflight Verifier'

Cheers,
/Kunda