[scribus-dev] enhancing RTL and Arabic: what it takes

Ahmad Gharbeia ahmad at arabdigitalexpression.org
Tue Mar 4 23:43:01 UTC 2014

Hello,

We at Arab Digital Expression Foundation - based in Egypt - are
concerned in enhancing FOSS tools that are useful to content creators in
different media, as well as systems that facilitate the creation and
organisation of knowledge repositories.

We're currently considering raising funds to enhance Scribus ability to
support Arabic. Our goal is to have it usable for Arabic Typesetting,
and then localising its UI into Arabic.

The questions we have are:
* Is this possible at all with the current design?
* Is this welcomed by this developers' community?
* Is there currently a well-described set of development tasks that
would realise this?
* If so, what's an estimated timeframe to do so? At what estimated cost?
* Are all the required skills present in the developers community?
* If there's currently no such task list, is it possible to develop it?

We are in the early phase of this project but we are able to move fast
once the feasibility of effecting measurable change in the desired
direction can be articulated.

Looking forward to get this conversation started,

Reagrds,
Ahmad Gharbeia