[scribus-dev] makeindex etc.

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Jul 4 06:10:24 UTC 2014

hi john and andreas

> Makeindex is a program that comes with the TeX
> suite, but it is a stand-alone program. You feed
> it the right input and it generates an index. It
> takes care of sorting, combining and formatting
> the output. I use it as the engine in my Tyro
> stand alone indexing system written in tcl/tk.
>
> The default output has a lot of LaTex code in
> it. However makeindex can use a formatting file
> with the suffix .ist that changes this output
> behavior. Over the years I have used this file to
> eliminate all the TeX specific code in the
> output except for See and See also. but that is
> not a big deal. A little editing of the output can
> change seealso to See also in italics and delete
> the string {99999} altogether.

on debian i don't think i can install makeindex without installing the
full latex.
i don't think that you can download it for windows or os x, either

but having had a look at the makeindex project page, it seems indeed
possible to use it as a standalone software... i guess that we would
have to add it to the scribus sources, then...

or expect the user to install the full latex package...

ciao
a.l.e