[scribus-dev] Design for indexing feature.

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Thu Jul 3 12:49:38 UTC 2014

You can use makeindex without LaTeX. It just converts a raw index file to a
formatted index.
Using a style file it's possible to change the input and output formats.

I'd prefer to use its successor Xindy, though. Xindy supports international
languages (incl. Klingon)
and is more flexible.

The interesting part is how to get the raw index from Scribus. We could use
something like characters styles
or we could use escape chars like {thingy} and {dog|pets|animals} or
>thingy< and  >dog|pets|animals<.
It might also be interesting to combine it with a word frequency counting
tool for identifying possible index terms and uses.

Reading the formatted index shouldn't be more difficult than importing text.

/Andreas