[scribus-dev] cover.py script for perfect bound book cover design is ready.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Thu Dec 25 17:58:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:22:11 -0500
Louis Desjardins <louis.desjardins at gmail.com>
wrote:

> <gpittman at iglou.com>:
>
> > On 12/24/2014 06:25 AM, JLuc wrote:
> > >
> > > Paper with same 'grammage' (GSM = g/m²) can
> > > have different thickness.
> > >
> > > According to provided link
> > > http://www.graphitec.org/epaisseur.html,
> > > thickness formula for inner pages is :
> > > specialpaperfactor x grammage x nbpage / 2
> > >
> > > With "standard papier", specialpaperfactor
> > > = 1
> > >
> > > With "papier couché", specialpaperfactor
> > > goes 0.85 to 1.15 With "papier offset",
> > > specialpaperfactor goes 1.05 to 1.25 With
> > > "papier bouffant", specialpaperfactor goes
> > > from 1.15 to 1.70
> > >

> > Another approach to consider might be to
> > create the script as envisioned, after which
> > the user presents the results to his printer,
> > then adjust the cover's spine if needed.
> >

> Encouraged by a few offlist discussions, here’s
> yet another approach to this whole issue. I
> would call it the "unscript approach", if you
> allow me!
>
> The other way I thought for Scribus (back a few
> years ago) was to address this case by asking
> the developers to allow us to use spreads in a
> combination of pages of different sizes. By the
> way, this would not be limited to covers and
> spines but would be useful in all cases where
> pages need not to be of equal size, for example
> with pamphlets where flaps are not equal to
> allow the paper to fold correctly. Back to
> spine, the middle page being the spine, you can
> simply change the page size when you need to.
> By adding the possibility of enlarging or
> reducing the page width from a reference point
> that could be the center of the page, the
> elements on that page would remain centered.
> And there would be no need for a script. And
> you can have flaps too, by adding 2 pages to
> the first 3. I wouldn’t say the possibilities
> are countless but given the fact that those are
> pretty common cases in the printing world, I
> think it would be great to address this in a
> more efficient way. And I would put the
> calculation for the spine as an article in the
> wiki.
>
> Related topic in the bug tracker
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=5372
>
> From the mailing list a discussion between John
> and I and a few other suspects (!) on july 21,
> 2011. Subject line : Printing as Spread.
>
> Andreas also made a comment on that topic in
> the same discussion.
>
> Something to put on the heat for 2015?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Louis
>

> > Greg

I am retreating into my North American cave and
sticking with my original product, now called
softcover_inch.py, with due credit to those who
educated me up to now on various aspects of
Python and the Scribus interface thereto. I have
received an acknowledgement to my request to post
on wiki as suggested on this thread. I would
post this product there except I need a password
to my page on wiki, and that hasn't appeared
yet. I'll check my junk folder to be sure.

Thanks to all, and have at it Europeans! I will
follow your discussion with interest.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press