[scribus-dev] cover.py script for perfect bound book cover design is ready.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Dec 23 17:24:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 16:23:37 -0500
John Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

Some printers  (Createspace is one) prefer to
specify the thickness of their book interior
stock as a very small fraction of an inch.
This fraction is easily converted to ppi by
dividing the fractional amount into 2.

When it comes to metric measurement I am a bit at
sea. What number comparable to ppi do printers
offer?

Similarly for perfect bound cover stock thickness
in the USA 0.10 inch or 0.012 inch are standard
measures. what thicknesses are common in Europe?

Finally what added width and height for trim is
common in Europe? In the USA 0.125 is the
standard expectation.

I set margins in inches at 0.25 + 0.125 = 0.375.
What would be the comparable expectation in a
cover template in a metric environment?

I will rename my inch version of the script to
softcover_inch.py and the metric version as
softcover_mm.py.

I will publish the versions as they are completed
whenever I get a wiki account. I have asked twice
now.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press