[scribus-dev] cover.py script for perfect bound book cover design is ready.

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Thu Dec 18 22:44:09 UTC 2014

Hello

John, that reads great.

Here are some elements on feedbacks :

If i had to create a dialog with more than one entry,
i would study and probably use tkinter.
See for example http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Drawing_a_grid

And as for me and quite a bunch of people also,
i dont grasp inches fully, apart for dot per inches.
I'd appreciate a 'cm' or 'mm' version...
But, AMOF :
- both the data inputs AND for the computations
would be the same whatever the units
(unchanged, since formulas are the same whether unit is cm or inches).
- Once the computations are done, the rest of the script
to create the document would also  probably be the same
but in a different unit
- When setUnit is not explicitely used in the script,
then the application defined preference for the defaut unit
is used for the unit in the script, isnt ?
Then your script is not only managing inches because
inces are your default units !
and when on my machine, it will be using mm, not inches !
That's only, of course, if the script doesnt use setUnit().
So my advices would be
- dont mention inches or cm but "defaut unit" in the inputs labels
- dont use setUnit so the script uses the application's default user-defined unit

In case i'm wrong, setUnit(UNIT_CM) or  setUnit(UNIT_INCHES)
would do the trick
some more scripts use setUnit
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Infobox_in_column
or units