[scribus-dev] cover.py script for perfect bound book cover design is ready.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 22:11:39 UTC 2014

Hi John,

I am very pleased to see that this awesome idea made it into a usable
script! It’s great.

I haven’t had the time to test the script but by your notes, a question
came across my mind:
Does (or can) the script create a small text frame to show the data used to
create the pages in human reading? In other words, to make the
communication complete between the actors of the graphic chain, a summary
of those values, including the resulting value for the spine, printed just
below the horizontal crop marks? This could include a few other values from
fields like Name of job, number of pages, date of creation, the mention
"Made with Scribus & the Script cover.py", etc.

This would allow quality control on any value and if there are any changes,
it’s easy to tell if a value is still valid or not and if the proof we have
in hand still corresponds to the reality of the job.

Subsidiary question:
While I am happy to see the PPI there, some printers will simply give the
spine value and thus could the user be given the choice of entering either
values (mutually exclusive) to obtain the desired result?

Are there plans to add an option of the flaps?

I like the security margins. Does the user get an electrical shock when
text is placed too close to the edge? :-D

Many thanks for this work and to all who gave a hand!

Louis