[scribus-dev] Properties palette renewal

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Apr 28 06:52:56 UTC 2014

> Gesendet: Sonntag, 27. April 2014 um 15:01 Uhr
> Von: "cedric.gemy at gmail.com" <cedric.gemy at gmail.com>
> Betreff: [scribus-dev] Properties palette renewal
>
> During LGM we have told we should work on the PP refactoring as fast as
> possible. I apologize for being silent Duringing this time, but here i
> am. So 3 bases :
> 1. Craig wishes : split PP in several palettes. Make those palettes
> saving as space as possible. Am i right if i say very little palettes
> that the user could drag to associate them in custom bigger ones (may be
> a bit like in Gimp) ?
> 2. My old Scribus UI analysis which in my opinion is now very old, some
> general idea could be take from it but usability change during that time
> and Scribus too :)
> 3. our UI_IV_UI analyze from pasts years, which have to be reviewed
>
> My opinion is that i'm OK with Craig's options :
> - PP is too big : it cannot be displayed on some screens so we need to
> find a way of making it smaller : splitting and having thin controls
> might help both
> - splitting will also help stop this boaring clickodrom with have made :
> click everywhere to change a property. We should find a way to make
> options more easily accessible for the user, make them thiner might help
> displaying more at once, but might not be enough if there are always
> subparts to click on. I would then be for avoiding those subparts as
> much as possible.
> - please, we should not fall in ID's situation in which there is so many
> palettes so that non-professionnal are lost and that daily users still
> click on the palette as we did in Scribus PP tabs. We might get inspired
> from the ID properties top window, which condense many options for
> frames and text in very little space.
>
> That said there is still an amount of work. So i came back to old
> documents in which we have written down our whishes
>
> General wishes :
> - we need to make each option type more visible : display Position as
> option group or with separator
> - shape on top of properties for frame conversion (mean img2txt,
> txt2img, ... ? ie setting content type property)
> - wouldn' it be better to have a lockXY button and and locjWHbutton on
> the right of the fields
> - We have line style that should be available from the PP
> - so we keep a drop down list for colors ?
> - Floating should have a quick margin field
> - we miss stroke color and shade
>  save more space :
> - could rot and origin be placed at the right of WH
> - If we write “Fill” and “Line”, do we need the icons.
> - We could put an overprinting button on the right or at least the shade
> value
> - re-thing the way we display text styles
> - when nothing is selected provide page properties (part of arrange
> pages or not ?)
>

> Concept - Current Properties Palettes
> [...]

Salut Cedric,

I'm currently finishing the result minutes for LGM, so here's a summary:

We'll probably follow a mix of XPress (7+) and GIMP with some ingredients of LibreOffice, Calligra, Adobe CS, and an extra option.

This means:

1) Users can select the displayed dialogue of the (then former) PP from a menu or select a relevant dialog from the Context Menu of an item.

2) As in XPress or GIMP, they can attach other dialogues of the former PP to the current dialogue as well.

3) More or less as in LibreOffice, they will be able to dock a (combined) dialogue to the right or left side of the screen (so the UI works as in Adobe's products, CorelDraw or Calligra Office).

4) For future versions we need to decide whether we want an option to attach and dock dialogues horizontally (as per the Preferences) to adjust to different screen resolutions/display ratios.

5) The "Text" tab of the current PP is probably the biggest UI mess of all, and it demonstrates that the approach used by XPress, InDesign and earlier Scribus versions, namely using a horizontal layout, which is separate from the other PP items, should be reconsidered. No decision has been made on this issue.

6) We all agreed that the dialogues need to become much smaller. Craig has already added some experimental code to 150svn that helps to address this issue, but it isn't ready for use yet.

This is, of course, no complete reply to your message, only a summary of the LGM discussions.

Best,
Christoph