[scribus-dev] Scripter: Your feedback is required

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Apr 11 05:32:06 UTC 2014

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. April 2014 um 19:11 Uhr
Von: "Chris Barker" <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
Betreff: Re: [scribus-dev] Scripter: Your feedback is required

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Mark Heieis <mheieis at alois.ca> wrote:

I'd be delighted to see "scripter2" see daylight. Especially if the scribus CLI option was also available (not sure if this happened or was just a thought).

I've being toying with porting "scripter2" as a personal project using qt5, python3 and c++11 for a bit with some limited success.

My questions are:

1) What is it's current status?

2) Has there been any work done on it?

Sorry for being too lazy to go find the code, but a question:

What tool(s) are being used to develop the Python / C++ bridge? This can make all the difference as to how easy it is to write a robust Python API.

If you want to be able to script the GUI, then it may make sense to use PySide, and then use it's tool for developing other C++ / Python bindings:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Binding_Generator[http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Binding_Generator]

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of Cython for calling C/C++ code from Python. It allows tight integration and complete control and best-possible performance. And there is X-Dress, for auto-generating Cython code that calls C/C++. I haven't actually tried that yet, though...

-Chris
 --

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Hi Chris,

Would you mind adding your suggestions and ideas to the wiki page I mentioned in the original mail?

Thanks,
Christoph