[scribus-dev] How to start?

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Sat Sep 28 10:49:24 UTC 2013

Hello Hans,

I'm not developping scribus but i sometime compile it
and take part to debuging.

Cedrics answer is very valuable.

First thing would be to study the wiki
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

install IRC tool and join on irc.freenode.net server to #scribus channel
so as to share whatever concern you have
and sometime get usefull answer (depending on who is connected)

install appropriate svn tool to recover uptodate developpement versions.
which OS are you working on ?

install all necessary libs and tools to compile the source and run the dev versions.

Then you could subscribe to the various rss feeds that will
keep you informed of the commits
and study each commit, try to understand each.
Study the code source itself aswell.
What is your experience with C++ and QT dev ?

Then you can study bugs on the bug tracker
http://bugs.scribus.net and try to solve some
You will learn a lot.

Then you can choose what is your priority in debuging or coding scribus
and go go go!

JLuc