[scribus-dev] GetText plugin inotify

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue May 21 05:59:43 UTC 2013

hi ezequiel,
> Hi guys,
>
> A friend of mine (Javier in Cc) who edits a news magazine has asked if
> it was possible to implement some sort
> of "Dynamic Text Frame". The idea is to have the content of the Text
> Frame dynamically updated when
> the source of the text frame changes.
>
> So I thought it could be easily achieved using some inotify magic,
> detecting changes on the "imported" source file
> and refreshing the Text Frame.
>
> Looking at the Scribus source code I noticed there's something called
> GTPlugins, which seems the way to go.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Am I on the right track?
>
> 2. Can anyone think of another way of doing this "dynamical" feature?
>
> 3. Does this feature correspond to any of the features in the roadmap [1] ?
>
> [1] http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/1.5.x_Roadmap
>
> Thanks!

there is much interest for that feature.

it's not that hard to create, but quite hard to get right!

the main problem is: what happens with the (typographic) formattings
when you reimport the text?

once you have solution that conceptually works for you, you can go on
and program it... :-)
but if you want to have it in the mainstream scribus you will have to
find a solution that works for most people... and this might be a not so
easy problem to solve.

but i'm not sure that it's possible to do create it as a plugin...

if you need further help, just ask!

ciao
a.l.e