[scribus-dev] to gsoc or not to gsoc?

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Tue Mar 19 12:37:09 UTC 2013

There is a wider list of ideas for GSOC13
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSoC_2013_Ideas

Some projects probably dont require as much mentor involvment
in case the student is serious and competent enough.

I'm quite sure a serious and competent student can do a lot of good
and get results that can be merged, even without requiring too much
help, code and availability from the mentor.

And as far as my 2012 experience is worth,  and looking at
how it happened with the various students, succeeding or not,
it is quite possible to know right at the begining (and before engaging)
wether a student is serious and has chance to succeed or not.

So maybe the answer should be YES : lets propose a couple of subjects,
BUT with the following appropriate decision :
- make sure we engage only with students we have a strong faith in.
(if none convince us, lets just say when required "we dont engage")
- make sure the devs of the students are thoroughfully tested
in real time, so they can be merged immediatly.

JLuc