[scribus-dev] New scripter - documentation and features

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Fri Jun 14 10:36:56 UTC 2013

Hello all, hello Jain,

As for now i have used php to create SLAs instead of using python scripting
because i dont want to do some throwable code and new scripter might replace
old one soon...
Afaik the new scripter is supposed to be an improvement in scribus python scripting,
but it is not yet the default scripter because it is not documented nor finished.
Is that it ?

There is the begining of a documentation on both the wiki
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scripter2_API
and a dedicated documentation site :
https://scribus-scripter.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
This seems to be the updated documentation, so I've added a link toward it
in the old wiki page.

Finishing a basic doc seems a first necessary step toward setting the new scripter
as default in the 1.5 so as to prepare the stable 1.6,
because people will be able to use it and test it
and report bugs or missing features.

Jain you said you would work on documentation in May didnt you ?
Have you been able to do so ? afaik I have not seen changes or not much !
Please could you have a go on it and have that documentation finally ready Jain ?
That would be great for the future of scripter.

As for the features, i looked http://bugs.scribus.net/view_all_bug_page.php
and searched "scripter"
I see that a dozen of person have used the scripter 2 and reported bugs or requests.
That's an encouraging proof of interest for a feature that is not even enabled
in 1.5 default version.

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11340 says : there is no character style handling !
That's strongly required since it is one of the roots of scribus...
It would be really great when you could tackle this feature soon Jain.

Apart from this it looks most reports are not very bad.
But they still needs to be taken care of too, of course.

Are there other known issues blocking new scripter to become default scripter ?

Cheers
JL