[scribus-dev] Lable Template Package

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Fri Jun 7 09:33:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:06:11 +0200 (CEST)
"Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I'm almost done with a template collection for labels based on the
> latest version of http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooolabels/
>
> Do you think these templates could become part of 1.4.3? Or would it
> make more sense to release them as a separate package, perhaps with
> installers for the OSes currently supported by Scribus?
>
> The templates have been released under GPL 2.

The templates directory in 1.4.2 (Rev 18300) is 11.032 MB

The OO template download unzips to 1.5 MB

Initial I thought that it wouldn't matter to add a couple more
megabytes to the file, but on looking at the actual templates, it
would appear to be mainly a collection of metric and imperial label
templates for different Avery? sizes. In my mind a bit specialized.

So I wondered how much trouble you went to to create a template. The
steps I followed were;

1. Open in OO
2. Export as EPS
3. Import EPS vector file into Scribus
4. Save as a template.

This seemed simple enough and think it would not be unreasonable for
the user to do this. Besides, there may be many more OO templates
around and if the user is given a "How To" in the manual, or on the
Wiki, then that might suffice.

--
Owen