[scribus-dev] Tools of Change

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Jan 25 01:17:52 UTC 2013

a.l.e posted something on his blog about this:

http://impagina.org/blog/2013-01-12-oreilly-tools-of-change-for-publishing

I went to the link and what impresses me is that these people are
talking about multidirectional publishing, but pretty clearly starting
from the point-of-view of ebooks, then having the option to turn that
into a PDF for print, plus other formats.

I have no argument against people doing this, since for one thing,
they're going to do it anyway, but I think there is the expectation of a
slide of publishing to an inferior quality. We're not likely to see
high-quality output for print, microtypography and other advanced
typographical features. This also feeds into the need for a professional
publisher, O'Reilly for example, who will be needed to clean up
someone's work to the level it needs to be for actual printing.

More sensible, but more difficult, is the approach of starting from the
high-quality end, such as with Scribus, then translating to low quality
output such as ebooks when desired. We know that this isn't
straightforward, but from a practical workflow point-of-view is more
sensible.