[scribus-dev] Scribus Plugin Licensing.

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Dec 14 06:56:40 UTC 2013

Gesendet: Freitag, 13. Dezember 2013 um 16:27 Uhr
Von: "Richard Cichelli" <cichelli at newspapersystems.com>
An: scribus-dev at lists.scribus.net
Betreff: [scribus-dev] Scribus Plugin Licensing.

Since 1987 SCS has made proprietary interfaces for newspapers to use with DTP systems - initially for QuarkXPress and later for InDesign.

What are the licensing issues were we to want to provide such technology for use with Scribus?  Can we make non-FOSS interfaces/plugins?

Richard.

Voice  610-746-7700
www.newspapersystems.com[http://www.newspapersystems.com]
cichelli at newspapersystems.com

Hi Richard,

You can create non-FOSS interfaces/plugins but you can't distribute them. If you want to distribute plug-ins or "interfaces" (whatever that means), you have to provide access to the code under the GPL v.2 or a less restrictive licence (e.g., LGPL 2, BSD, or MIT).

However, compliance with the GPL requirements doesn't mean you can't sell GPL-licenced software -- you can, and you don't even have to make your source code publicly available. You must, however, guarantee that your customers have access to the source code, as well as grant them all rights listed in the GPL.

HTH,

Christoph