[scribus-dev] Collect 4 Output behaviour

Mark Heieis mheieis at alois.ca
Thu Dec 12 18:02:30 UTC 2013

Thinking from a purely a usability perspective: The current
implementation would be hard to train for and use. especially from a
high volume, "multi-editor" environment perspective. I could see one
workflow where the c4o output location is a hot folder, at which point
the dropped files are now under "system control" and are moved to other
points for processing, etc. Or the process is that once the files have
been used, they are deleted to indicate a completed project, etc. That
is, no files in the c4o location. So what happens now? Or how does one
teach a new user or document it? "Edit your files as normal, do c4o when
you are ready, oh and remember, after you have done a c4o you aren't
editing your files anymore, even though you still have your original
files and location... you'll need to re-open your file..."

I think having a utility that packages and collects all of a document
components into a single location is very useful. I just don't think
that the file contexts should be changing. Users should be notified
about unsaved modifications and given a choice on how to proceed, or
that they need to be saved first, to the original docs location, and
then have Scribus collect and copy the document components to the c4o
location.

This still leaves the option of a user opening and using the c4o files
as a separate action, should they wish. Still, I'd be really concerned
about losing work/changes. Shouldn't that be a priority: preventing loss
of work?

I guess I'm treating c4o as a method for packaging,where the persistence
of the c4o location and files within it are not guaranteed. (Ironically,
making those output files read-only would almost make sense -- to
prevent inadvertent changes when a user thinks they are working on their
source docs)

Just my thoughts.

Regards.

mrh.