[scribus-dev] should Properties be drawn and quartered?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jun 27 01:05:39 UTC 2012

On 06/26/2012 08:53 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2012/6/26 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com <mailto:gpittman at iglou.com>>
>
>     It's an idea which occurred to me as I was making a text frame
>     that I intended to create columns in.
>
>     What if we had an item in the context menu that said, for example,
>     "Text Tab", so that if you selected it, up popped a free-floating
>     equivalent to the Text tab of Properties, with all its settings,
>     and it would stay open until I closed it? If I selected a
>     different text frame, its settings applied there.
>     Similarly, I could bring up a Shape tab by right-clicking a
>     polygon or shape, an Image tab if I right-clicked an image frame.
>
>     This is just some free-form musing about the mess that Properties
>     has become.
>     Perhaps the best way to conquer Properties is to draw and quarter
>     it...
>

> :-)
>
> I believe that this is where we are trying to go now. The PP would
> contextually offer the user the settings that are relevant to the
> active object. When in a Text frame, text settings, when in an image
> frame, image settings. Not even the need for a right-click.
>
> Ale could elaborate on this.

But the point is, there are tabs which are context-specific and those
which are not. I can imagine working with a text frame, having a
free-floating text tab, and yet in the remnants of Properties working
with XYZ tab functions. You would leave in Properties those features
which might apply to various objects.