[scribus-dev] request for testing new feature

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Jun 24 09:47:00 UTC 2012

hi jluc,

> > As some of you know, I am working on marks and footnotes feature.
> > My work is almost ready and I ask you for get my code and test it.
> >
> > Code is in GIT as branch "footnotes".
> This is very short explanation so as to be able to test it :-)
> So i decided to follow the longer explanations on
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10730 :
>
> mkdir footnotes
> cd footnotes
> git init
> git remote add -t footnotes -f origin git at scribus.net:scribus.git
> git checkout footnotes
>
> After installing git (ubuntu amazingly kindly explained how !)
> first time i ran i got this :
>
> The authenticity of host 'scribus.net (31.185.27.100)' can't be
> established. RSA key fingerprint is
> f6:13:1c:9d:af:03:81:29:85:60:70:d2:bd:53:15:05. Are you sure you
> want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Warning: Permanently added 'scribus.net,31.185.27.100' (RSA) to the
> list of known hosts.
>
> then each time I try
> git remote add -t footnotes -f origin git at scribus.net:scribus.git
>
> I got :
> Updating origin
> Permission denied (publickey).
> error: Could not fetch origin
>
> Whats wrong and how to checkout the footnotes code ?

i guess that you're using

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Git

as a reference.

that is still new and only few people have gone through the
explanations...

... i'm not git expert, but in the last few weeks i've tried to learn
the basics... let's see if i can help you...

first, there is one thing to understand: you can't get a git branch,
you have to get the whole repository.

this is done with the command:

$ git clone git://git.scribus.net/trunk.git

it's listed on the page mentioned above:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Git#Public_Access

this will create a directory called trunk.git in your current directory
and pull in there the whole repository (with all the history!)

so, "mkdir footnotes" is not necessary, but you still probably want to
give your directory a better name then trunk.git:

$ git clone git://git.scribus.net/trunk.git scribus.git

this will create a directory called scribus.git

now, cd into the directory and do

$ git branch

you will see all the branches that are on your computer. well, since
you haven't create any branches yet, you will only see "trunk" listed.

what you want to see are the branches on the "server" (technically
speaking, there git does not have servers and client: every repository
is complete and sufficient! but in our use we still have a server on
the scribus.net server):

$ git branch -a

right now, this will give you:

* master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/autoheight
  remotes/origin/footnotes
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/numeration
  remotes/origin/resizeToMargin
  remotes/origin/reverse
  remotes/origin/trunk
  remotes/origin/virtpagenums

branches can be very short living, so it's not sure that you will the
same result!

since what you want is to test the footnotes branch, you will do

git checkout --track -b footnotes origin/footnotes

(the first footnotes is then name you want to give to the branch
locally! it does not have to be the same as the remote one!)

and your current branch to the footnotes one:

* footnotes
  master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/autoheight
  remotes/origin/footnotes
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/numeration
  remotes/origin/resizeToMargincmake

  remotes/origin/trunk remotes/origin/virtpagenums

now you can go back to business as usual:

$ cd Scribus
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/ale/bin/scribus \
-DWANT_DEBUG=1 -DWANT_GUI_LANG="en_GB;de;fr;it;en" ..
$ make -j4
$ make install
$ /home/ale/bin/scribus/bin/scribus

voilà, that should be all you need!

please give feedback on this explaination: i want to clean it up and
publish as a blog article...

ciao
a.l.e