[scribus-dev] Sample files from older programs for those who would like to re-engineer

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Jul 29 06:38:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

I finally managed to install eComStation (formerly known as OS/2) in VirtualBox. Since eCS is also being shipped with a Windows 3 environment, I was able to install some really old graphics programs whose output may be of interest to those who are versed in reverse engineering.

Here's what I have found and installed in my files (gosh! how cheap these programs were back then!):

- CorelDraw (Suite) 5.0 for Windows 3
- Micrografx Designer 4.1 for Windows 3
- PageMaker 5.0 for Windows 3
- QuarkXPress 3.3 for Windows 3
- Visio 4.0 (i.e., before Visio was acquired by MS) for Windows 3

I also have IBM Works for OS/2 (the predecessor of SmartSuite) and StarOffice 5.1a for OS/2 installed.

If someone is interested in reverse-engineering the Maul Publisher file format (Maul is a desktop publishing program for OS/2 and Windows), the eComStation add-on disc comprises a demo version, so I would be able to produce sample files as well.

Since all of the files created by these programs are from the early nineties, their content is probably not as complex as the output produced by their current incarnations.

Cheers,

Christoph