[scribus-dev] Interface 2

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 17:20:55 UTC 2012

2012/1/2 Georg Seifert <georg.seifert at gmx.de>

> Hi,
>
> Some issues I see with the current interface:
>
> The document in a Application window does not work very well in Mac OS X.
> It would be much better to have a window for each document either with a
> single toolbar docking to the top or the right side of the screen or one
> toolbar per document window.
> Other than that is the window management a bit quircy. If you create two
> documents, there is now way to see them next to each other. I can make the
> doc window smaller, but when I switch to the other document, it is restored
> to maximum size. Only if I select Window > Tile, I can move the windows as
> I like and they keep there size.
> I played around with the different themes. The not mac themes seem to work
> a bit better. Documents in full screen mode can’t be resized.
>
> But PLEASE, remove the themeing on Mac OS X.
>
> The status bar wastes to much space. The application status bar is almost
> empty. It only shows the coordinates of the cursor and a disabled progress
> indicator. we can find a better place for both of them.
>
> The document status bar (it is quite easily hidden when you move the
> window down a bit (this is a another argument against the window in window
> model)) has a few controls that I would remove or at least make them a lot
> smaller. They  would fit in the space left of the scroll bar (like InDesign
> is doing it). And some could be moved to the view menu (Preview Quality,
> Color Vision preview, Zoom to 100%). The unit selector can move to the
> document preset or in the properties panel.
> I just found the "Use small widgets in Palettes". This is much better but
> most popup buttons are too small and the text is not places correctly.
>
> The colors of the document frames could be a bit less saturated. The RGB
> red and blue are to prominent.
>
> Properties panel:
> The layout of the properties should be optimized to fit in a narrower
> windows and then you can disable the width resizing of the panel completely.
>
> The dividers of the sections are not strong enough. Why not use the native
> group divider like in the detailed Text properties? The text details are
> the only place that needs a more then 250 px wide window.
>
> Some smaller things:
> Remove the images from the menu!
>
> If you zoom out, the document should be centered, not attached to the left
> side of the window.
>
> The BasePoint controller has a white background. This looks strange in the
> gray panel on mac. When "Use small widgets in Palettes" is set, this is
> fine.
>
> The app preference dialogs has a lot layout problems. Very often, boxes
> are to big when there is only on line of content. (e.g. "Show Guides")
>
> Thats for now. And please don’t be offended by my critic. This is intended
> to help improve.

Hi Georg,

This is all very interesting and yes, it's easy to understand you are
trying to help! You are pretty much welcome! We are a few people who are
currently working on some aspects of the interface, including the
Properties Palette. We should join forces! On the Mac part, as a Mac user I
can only agree with the points you raise. For these enhancements to happen
we're going to need the support of the core team.

I wish you a happy new year and hope we can work together in the near
future!

Louis