[scribus-dev] Casual PDF output

Jean Ghali jghali at libertysurf.fr
Sun Feb 12 23:11:30 UTC 2012

Le 12/02/2012 23:14, 中本浩 a écrit :
> I believe Windows build requires Freetype, if I correctly read the
> document below.
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_Scribus_on_Windows

For building Scribus yes, not for building cairo. Cairo builds on Windows may not contain
freetype font backend and the build provided with scribus does not : cairo freetype font
backend has a dependency on fontconfig which is usually avoided on Windows. That
dependency is a long standing issue of cairo which has not been fixed as of latest
unstable release (1.11.2). Fontconfig is not a dependency of Scribus on Windows and as a
consequence cairo_ft_font_* functions will not be available.

> scprintengine_ps, which I patched, is never invoked on Windows at
> printing, anyway.

Not true, scprintengine_ps is used on Windows for "printing" postcript files to disk.

> By the way, which platform uses scpainterex_cairo currently ?
> At least, it is not used on Mac/Linux.

Windows only currently. As a consequence you cannot assume in scpainterex_cairo that the
cairo_ft_font_* functions will be available.

> Currently, scprintengine_ps looks like used as
> scprintengine_non_windows, and scprintengine_ps is not used on Windows
> - correct me if I am wrong.

As mentionned above scprintengine_ps is used on Windows for "printing" postscript files to
disk.

Jean