[scribus-dev] Casual PDF output

中本浩 hiroshi-n at borndigital.co.jp
Thu Feb 2 10:03:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

I tried Scribus PDF export using Japanese fonts, and found that
Scribus converts all the text using such fonts to outline data.
The output becomes unsearchable PDF ( and quality degrade because
hinting information is lost ).

I also found cairo+pango correctly handles the case - the attached
sample code works fine.
It does OTF subsetting/embedding with Adobe-Identity-UCS encoding and
generates searchable PDF.

As Scribus uses cairo for rendering ( and Windows printing ? ), I
thought it would be relatively straightforward to implement cairo PDF
generation ( for example, when "pdf" is specified as "Alternative
printer command" ).

So, I would like to know:

1. if you have plan to incorporate OTF subsetting in 1.5 release
2. if such a hack is possible
3. where I should look first if above is possible.

Best regards,