[scribus-dev] Tentative feature freeze for Scribus 1.5svn

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Dec 28 22:22:05 UTC 2012

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:12:56 +0100
> Von: "cedric.gemy at gmail.com" <cedric.gemy at gmail.com>
> An: scribus-dev at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: Re: [scribus-dev] Tentative feature freeze for Scribus 1.5svn

Salut Cedric,

> great news. I would have been happy with a closer release but the most
> important is to have a date in mind.
>
> 1. I could make some time to do some tests. Actually and really soon i
> can quite easily do some on idml import for i'll have student work
> (mostly done in Indesign) and that will we good use cases

Super. If you could do some testing with snippets, it would be great, too.

> 2. PDF forms is not so important but i already have work with it so that
> i can use my files and try to redo them in scribus
>
> 3. I can do some tests with acrobat for new PDF formats
>
> 4. As for table, this will be one of the most important new feature,
> really usefull for users that don't want to work with several software.
> We should put effort on it and see what we want to improve for 1.5 or
> later. IMO, the current state of this new tools is already a really good
> improvement for users workflow.

I agree, it's already quite good, but the devil's in the details, and the small issues can only be found via intensive testing.

> 5. BarCode generator, may also think of a QRcode generator (code in
> Inkscape)

The latest versions of Terry Burton's barcode generator create QRCode. All we need is an update that reflects the latest feature set.

> 6. As new features, improvements in character styles would be good.
> Having them correctly linked in other functionnalities would be nice and
> a real tiem saver : odt import, search-replace, story editor...

Sure, if someone has the time ... Maybe once Cezary has finished his various text-related projects it makes sense to do a single major update to ODT import that reflects *all* new features.

> 7. About Scripter 2, ale has already proposed try to migrate some
> scripts and see the issues. You message show it's time too. May be we
> should do a list of most important scripts to upgrade or which want we
> want to add.
>
> 8. We should also say on which bugs we should put effort. I've
> personnally work on some (mainly
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10702,
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8444) and don't know if they can be
> accepted or not. I could try work on other little things too.
>
> 9. I think we should do a repository for sample files so that we could
> test the same files over several systems, the same files over future
> scribus version and check regression on same contexts. Upgrade sample
> test files when new features are implemented

Good idea. Where?

> 10. On some feature i was wondering what have been improved (for exemple
> in EPS). Is there a way to find it and put efforts on new things and not
> just test without goals and miss the main subject ?

AFAIK, nothing or not much has been improved in EPS import, but a lot has been done with AI files, especially PDF-based AI. E.g., Scribus can import hybrid AIs (with one AI and one PDF part). The problem with testing "goals" is that you sometimes miss an issue you hadn't thought of, so "wild testing" can help, i.e., throwing large amounts of randomly selected complex files at Scribus and seeing how it works may be useful.

Christoph