[scribus-dev] cloud Scribus

Andreas Vox andreas.vox at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 12 19:35:06 UTC 2011

Am 11.10.2011 um 21:26 schrieb Gregory Pittman:

> On 10/11/2011 01:11 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
>> On 10/11/11 6:17 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>> This is strictly a mental exercise.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to set up Scribus as a cloud app? Would it require some sort of VM to allow someone
>>> with whatever sort of OS to use?
>>
>> Define cloud app? Name another cloud app?
>>
> I guess what I am referring to is running Scribus remotely, let's say from a tablet, where one might also have templates, etc. remotely stored, and allowing for customization using the tablet.

I see 4 possible scenarios:

A) Scribus running locally but storing documents and images in the cloud

B) Scribus running in a VM on a server and exporting the VM's screen as remote desktop (eg. NX)

C) Scribus running on the server but exporting only commandline-like operations via web (apply template, change stories or images, export pdf etc.)

D) Rewriting Scribus as a webapp.

Of this B) is already possible. I'd like to see a combination of A) and C) which could be achieved with little effort. The challenge is to find a clever organization of texts, images and document templates on the server and build a collaborative workflow + webapp around it.

D) is possible but unlikely. The decisive word here is "rewrite".

/Andreas