[scribus-dev] I think it's time

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex at scribus.net
Tue Oct 11 13:22:03 UTC 2011

On Oct 10, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:

> At this point, the fastest way would be to use the non-profit that already exists in Montreal. It's legally constituted and is aimed at "developing and promoting open source and free software" including raising money and organising conferences. AQDPLL is also a vendor to Google and has already invoiced Intel, HP and is handling OIF’s money for Scribus. AQDPLL has 3 bank accounts in USD, EUR and CAD. Getting money in is no issue. Keeping track of the donations through Paypal or any other means should be a breeze to organise both within and outside the banking operations (so a larger "Scribus Board" could readily access the info at any time — we cannot have lots of people connected to the bank account directly so we need the donation info to follow 2 paths if we want exterior people to be informed of the donations). Or maybe not a breeze but should be simple enough. However this will not give anybody a tax-deduction but for small amounts this shouldn’t matter too much. Going the charitable way is not that easy as well and the laws are different from country to country. AQDPLL is a non-profit but not a charitable organisation in front of the law here so while we can give receipts, these would be of no use when the time comes to declare your income. We’re not going to solve that at our level anyway. And larger organisations cannot do it either. They are confined to one specific country so they must go by those rules. USA laws are very strict on that purpose by the talks I had with the people at GNOME so, nothing easy in any jurisdiction. A European non-profit should be considered down the road once we get into large numbers. Until then, the solutions that work even if not "perfect" will be the best ones.
>
> Louis

Louis,

I believe that AQDPLL is the best option we have at this time. I personally fully support going with AWDPLL as an umbrella non-profit organization for handling the external affairs of the Scribus Team, especially the financial activities. I believe that the majority of the people who might be considering a donation will not be worried by the absence of the charitable status of their donations. And frankly, noone currently on the Scribus Team is in a position to set up something like this.

Thank you for bringing the voice of reason to the table!

Cheers,

OM