[scribus-dev] I think it's time

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Oct 10 16:14:26 UTC 2011

Actually past the time, when Scribus should have established some sort
of legal entity which could create a formal business/profit/nonprofit
entity.

I believe we are failing to capitalize on the breadth and depth of
Scribus's use. This isn't a matter of requiring anyone to pay for a
license to use Scribus, but offering a way for people to show
appreciation for the fact that something like Scribus exists.

It turns out to be a negative interaction when someone says, "I can't or
don't have time to contribute to the project with some sort of skills,
but I would like to help Scribus in some way, can I make a donation?",
and we have no answer for them.

I think it also reflects on Scribus as being a loose collection of
people who work on it, work at it, but have no overriding sense of where
Scribus is going.

If there is no way to set up some nonprofit entity, then set up a simple
corporation, in a country where taxes and filings of various documents
are minimal. A European nonprofit status is of no help to someone in the
US wanting to have a tax-exempt donation, but doesn't mean that they
would not consider donating anyway.