[scribus-dev] Leopard OSX 10.5

Stefan stmstmstmster at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:18:48 UTC 2011

well, as a contra :-)

desk top publishing is complex and should not be dumbed down.

Here is my suggestion for the Mac Download page

"<small>A word about download size: Scribus is a complex system with lots
of advanced features. To bring this good stuff on your specific system, we
created a complete package that is simple for you to install. Unfortunatly
this comes with the cost of large package size. Thanks for your patience
while downloading.</small>".

Am 29. November 2011 07:56 schrieb ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>:

> hi
>
> > >     > as requested, i've tested the .dmg on lion:
> > >     >
> > >     > - the .dmg is too big. i wonder if there shouldn't be a light
> > >     > version of the .dmg without python and gs... (if they're the
> > >     > ones to blame)
> > >     Python is from the system it is installed on. gs is not
> > > included.
> > >
> > >     The aspell directory is almost 300Mb.. feel free to select
> > > which dictionaries we should distribute to get this down.
>
> i would suggest to create a light version of the dmg with only english
> spelling check (or en, de, fr, pt-br, nl to cover the most
> important languages) and no python in there.
>
> one can choose to download the full package or the light one (and at a
> later time -- if she notices that something is missing -- the full one).
>
> i wasn't suggesting to strip down the .dmg. just to offer a second one
> which is not as big to download.
> this only matters if we can strip it down in a noticeable way!
>
> i don't really care about the disk space (well, i was a bit scared
> when i saw that it was installing a couple of gigas... but then i
> realized how big my disk is...), but we should be careful with the time
> it takes to download (personally, i have no problem in downloading
> 150MB... but other people do...)
>
> downloading scribus is the first impression somebody has of scribus! it
> should be a pleasant one!
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

Gruß, Stefan