[scribus-dev] I think it's time

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 01:09:06 UTC 2011

2011/11/24 Craig Bradney <cbradney at scribus.info>

> On 10/11/11 3:22 PM, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 10, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> >>
> >> At this point, the fastest way would be to use the non-profit that
> already exists in Montreal. It's legally constituted and is aimed at
> "developing and promoting open source and free software" including raising
> money and organising conferences. AQDPLL is also a vendor to Google and has
> already invoiced Intel, HP and is handling OIF’s money for Scribus. AQDPLL
> has 3 bank accounts in USD, EUR and CAD. Getting money in is no issue.
> Keeping track of the donations through Paypal or any other means should be
> a breeze to organise both within and outside the banking operations (so a
> larger "Scribus Board" could readily access the info at any time — we
> cannot have lots of people connected to the bank account directly so we
> need the donation info to follow 2 paths if we want exterior people to be
> informed of the donations). Or maybe not a breeze but should be simple
> enough. However this will not give anybody a tax-deduction but for small
> amounts this shouldn’t matter too much. Going
>  the charitable way is not that easy as well and the laws are different
> from country to country. AQDPLL is a non-profit but not a charitable
> organisation in front of the law here so while we can give receipts, these
> would be of no use when the time comes to declare your income. We’re not
> going to solve that at our level anyway. And larger organisations cannot do
> it either. They are confined to one specific country so they must go by
> those rules. USA laws are very strict on that purpose by the talks I had
> with the people at GNOME so, nothing easy in any jurisdiction. A European
> non-profit should be considered down the road once we get into large
> numbers. Until then, the solutions that work even if not "perfect" will be
> the best ones.
> >>
> >> Louis
> >
> > Louis,
> >
> > I believe that AQDPLL is the best option we have at this time. I
> personally fully support going with AWDPLL as an umbrella non-profit
> organization for handling the external affairs of the Scribus Team,
> especially the financial activities. I believe that the majority of the
> people who might be considering a donation will not be worried by the
> absence of the charitable status of their donations. And frankly, noone
> currently on the Scribus Team is in a position to set up something like
> this.
> >
> > Thank you for bringing the voice of reason to the table!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > OM
> >

> Not sure where this got to, but I'd support it too.
>
> It'd be great if we could have donations available in time for the 1.4.0
> release.
>
> How long would it take Louis and do you have time?

I am sure it wouldn't take much work to get this running. We already have a
Paypal account and we can work with this and/or use any other mean to
connect to Paypal through the website. Just like we did with LGM.

The issue I have now is time for the admin work, like follow-ups and
invoice, etc. But I could and should only ask my accounting desk at the
office to spare a bit of time on that too. The additionnal work for her
would not be too much. So far I haven't asked that because I thought of
handling this myself to save all the money we could but really... I am so
busy at work that this has become a bit silly. The cost would be very
little for a great benefit.

Also, we have been contacted by Peter Ross from flattr:

Peter.
Peter Ross
Flattr - social micropayments
www.flattr.com
@Peterro55

who offer to help raising money for LGM and they already help Blender so it
might be a good time to talk with them to know how they work and what they
ask to help.

Please let me know what you want to do.

Cheers!

Louis