[scribus-dev] Preparations for GSoC

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:30:24 UTC 2011

2011/5/18 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>:
> hi elvis,
>
>> Now that I think about it, you probably meant the menu should be
>> visible directly on this gray area, without the user having to
>> right-click? Then it's a little better, but it's still a pretty
>> advanced feature. But I like playing with crazy ideas ;)
>
> you got it 100% with your schema!
>
> shrinking the table won't be as "nice"... but should also be doable.

Alright, but then I guess you mean that the user would confirm these
choices somehow (distribute vs. giving explicit sizes to rows columns)
for the table size change to finally take effect? It feels like a bit
much work for the user for just changing the size of a table. Or
rather, it feels like a power feature, and one that diverges quite a
lot from established ways of working with tables in other software.
But of course it's good to be open to new innovative ideas, so I'm not
saying I'm completely against it.

But anyway, I feel that things are starting to crystallize more now.
And a lot of good has come out of this thread.

> and yes, i was writing about a right click for a context menu... but -- as for every function in scribus -- you will find the same command also in the main navigation.

Hm, yes. But this state where the gray area is shown, it feels like a
transient (temporary) state only visible right after the user has
requested a resize of a table by dragging its corners. Should menu
actions related to such a contextual/transient action really be
visible somewhere in the main menus of Scribus? I'm not sure.. But
anyway, these are details for later I think.

Regards,
Elvis