[scribus-dev] Preparations for GSoC

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue May 17 12:25:54 UTC 2011

On 05/17/2011 07:53 AM, Elvis Stansvik wrote:

> Okay, so a bit of conflicting minds about this. Perhaps I could skip
> the growing for an initial version, and if I add them later on make it
> an optional feature. I'll await Craig's opinion on this tonight too.

I think we have to consider one of the kinds of feedback we have gotten
from users who want better, more flexible tables. They want to be able
to easily import contents from some kind of database. Some talk about
very large datasets, like catalogues and such. A table might be larger
than a single page, so what would happen then? Can a table be broken
into sub-tables spreading over multiple pages? What happens when you add
a new row in the middle -- can a subsequent row be bumped to the next
page? And for that matter, if automatic growing of cells doesn't happen,
then surely editing will cause a table to overlap to the next page.

All of this would not have to be implemented now, but the basic
structure of the table needs to accommodate these features to be added
later.

I don't think that relying on making tables in a outside app and
importing gets us any farther than we are now. If we are going to accept
that, then we can expect that the day will come when LibreOffice
develops enough DTP/PDF capabilities that users will skip Scribus
altogether.