[scribus-dev] Preparations for GSoC

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Sun May 15 20:10:57 UTC 2011

> Yes, again, thanks a lot for the quick reply.
>
> So.. In light of Leonards response here. Do we still think that tables
> as page items is the way forward? Because I thought that had been
> pretty much agreed on. My idea was that the tables would initially be
> made as page items that could only be placed freely on the page, not
> inline in text frames, and that later on, Scribus text layout engine
> could possibly be given the ability to place items such as tables
> inline (with modifications to tables to support working in this new
> setting). Now I'm not so sure anymore, and I'd really like it if more
> of you could answer.

Scribus can handle (within the boundaries of the implementation.. which
is average, needs lots of work) inline items within a text frame.. its
not robust enough to handle its current job though.

However, I still think tables as pageitems is a valid approach,
certainly in the scope and time frame of GSoC, with the idea of
replacing the current pageitems. Having a fully functional pageitem
implementation would be a million times better than what we have, and I
don't see the primary functionality needing to change whether it be in a
page item or inline.