[scribus-dev] Tables GSoC draft proposal

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Mar 29 18:01:30 CEST 2011

On 03/29/2011 03:53 AM, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> 2011/3/29 Elvis Stansvik<elvstone at gmail.com>:
>> 2011/3/29 Elvis Stansvik<elvstone at gmail.com>:
>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> As the student application period is now open, I'm planning on sending
>>> my application to Google soon.
>>>
>>> No further comments on my draft proposal below? I've done a couple of
>>> small edits in the version on the wiki [1], but it's essentially the
>>> same version as the one I sent to the list.
>>>
>>> Should I give it the "final" stamp and maybe make a typeset version of it?
>>
>> I made a quick LaTeX-typeset version of the proposal (attached).
>
> A few Unicode-related issues crept into that one. I've fixed them and
> also put it up on the wiki, where I'll keep it up to date [1].

Hi Elvis!

First suggestion: Clean the garbage from your emails. You could/should
have trimmed down your post to the above. We have the archive to find
old posts if we need them. This is a simple personal discipline issue.

Secondly: Try to get inside the head of a layout design user. While we
want tables to interact with spreadsheet files and in some respects
mimic the operation of a spreadsheet program, in layout design one is
looking for things that you can't get from Excel/Calc or even
Word/oowriter. We may want to make a table whose contents are links to a
number of images, or you may start out with data/text, yet replace
selected cells with images or replace a block of 2 or 4 or more cells
with one image frame. Do all these need to be implemented for GSoC? No,
but you need to anticipate these modifications later.

It actually puzzles me as to why, but for whatever reason, in word
processor programs you can specify different characteristics for the
different borders of a cell. Again, maybe something to anticipate rather
than include in your project. What if someone wants a cell to be
something other than a rectangle? Is this feasible?

Can a cell be a container for other Scribus content, such as render
frames, polygons, arcs, spirals, even PDF form elements? Maybe container
is a good paradigm to think about.

Lastly: Consider my position in the Scribus community as someone
primarily involved with documentation. Don't take too seriously what I'm
saying for one thing, but see if you can generate some information that
can be used to generate user documentation for your implementations.

In summary: I think you have a solid proposal.