[scribus-dev] Tables GSoC draft proposal

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 22:41:24 CET 2011

2011/3/20 Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>:
> On 3/20/11, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
>
>> ** UI: Integration of styles in Style Manager.
>
> Wasn't there a plan to rewrite Style Manager? Is anybody in the team
> expecting to work on it in the same timeframe?

I was unaware of that, but see Craig's answer.

>> * '''Breaking across page boundaries'''
>> *: This is a feature which I did not finish completely during my 2009
>> project for KWord, and one which can be quite hairy to implement. I
>> think I have a good general idea of how to go about it, but should it
>> turn out to take too long, it may be dropped.
>
> Scribus can already do that for other types of objects. Isn't the same
> logic applicable to just another page item? If it isn't, then there is
> something wrong with architecture, IMO :)

Well properly breaking a table is more than just continuing to draw
the table on the next page, it has implications for the layout of the
table. Open up OO.o and place a table across a page boundary and
you'll see what I mean. Throw in some row spanning cells across the
page boundary and it gets even funnier :)

I don't believe Scribus has any code that can be reused for this
purpose directly. It has the ability to properly break content across
linked frames, and that will probably come in handy. I believe I
should be able to use this functionality. A cell that is visible on N
pages will then be represented by N linked text frames.

Regards,
Elvis