[scribus-dev] Tables as Summer of Code project

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Sun Mar 6 16:56:08 CET 2011

> I like your realistic enthusiasm, Elvis!
>
> Tables may be a place to test the idea advanced by Louis and a.l.e that
> documentation needs to happen before writing code. In this particular
> case, it means considering what features/operability tables surely must
> have, which are highly desirable, which are optional.

I think we can take other working programs as a form of initial
documentation, with a set of points like "Scribus will implement
cell-cell navigation like OO.org 3.x/KWord 1.x" (or whatever)

> Some basic features I envision:
>
> Importation of common spreadsheet and database file formats: Excel,
> OpenOffice, CSV, maybe even some things from postgresql or mysql.
> Ability to import a table from OpenOffice writer, perhaps other word
> processors.

This would be in no way a basic feature. Getting the tables stored in
memory, in files, and drawn on canvas is where it needs to start. Import
comes later. Being able to create a proper table is the most important step.

> Ability to easily move from one table cell to another with something
> other than mouse clicks.

Yes

> Ability to do table-wide, individual cell, and a collection of cells the
> formatting of borders (including each individual border (side) of a cell
> and an overall border for the table), fill, font and styles, in-cell
> columns and distances. This may or may not include creation of "table
> styles" which include all of these elements, perhaps others. Certainly,
> copying the features of one table/cell to others is essential.

Yes

> Ability to easily resize cells, merge cells, change cell content type
> (such as we have now, being able to contain an image in a cell, for
> example).

Yes